I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years on Friday after taking a break from him. Reflecting back on the relationship I realised that he was very controlling and possibly even emotionally manipulating me! I only noticed this now as I was always with him.
Some examples throughout the relationship:
- I rang my mum on my lunch break as I hadn't seen her all week, I saw him in the morning before I left. He said 'Ah I see you ring your mum do you!! Not your sick boyfriend!! I'm a bit hurt babe, hurt I say!!'
Then after saying that I hadn't seen her at all and I saw him that morning and would give him a hug when I came back, he replied with 'Mmmmmm still!! I'm not angry, just disappointed!!'
- When I said I was too tired for sex as I was jet lagged he said don't you love me anymore
- He kept saying that I should grow my hair long as he wants to see it long, I said I'm happy with it short though, he said I like it short too then brought it up randomly throughout our relationship.
- if I misplaced anything he'd given me he'd say oh you probably sold it like everything else I give you
- He got jealous when people in America said they liked my hair (it's purple pink in colour), saying how come everyone likes your hair and no one likes mine
- he said we spend too much time together even though he's the one who suggests me staying over his all week and gets upset if I spend time with my mates without him or just want a night to myself or with my family.
- When we were on holiday in America (We live in the UK) just the two of us, I started feeling dizzy and sick. A few days previously I threw up at the theme park several times and got taken to a medical station. He was more concerned about missing the whale show and kept asking if I was better yet. A few days later still feeling giddy which I told him he left me on my own to go on a roller coaster. I was sat in another country in a theme park by myself...