Why do people cry when an ex dies?

I just feel like that is so fake to me. You obviously don't care that much about them if you broke up.-.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, weirdly enough. For example, when my Grandpa died, I never expected my grandma to be as grieving as she was, cause when he was alive, they fought a lot, and had a HUGE rift in-between them. My Grandpa even had said that he'd "dance on her grave," if he went to her funeral.
    But there was none of that with her. Even though she had her new husband with her, she cried like a baby.
    Why? I think it's because death reminds us of how appreciative of life we have to be. It also makes us remember mostly positive times, mainly because nobody wants to talk about bad times, especially out of respect for that person. Also, funerals can be triggers. There's pictures of them posted everywhere, while they lay dead, in a coffin. Just seeing them dead alone, can make that person cry.

Most Helpful Guy

• You made a fairly stupid assumption that breaking up with a person = you don't care about them. There are millions of people who break up and still maintain a non-romantic relationship with each other, whether it's causal boyfriends/girlfriends or ex-wives/husbands. Even if they do not maintain a relationship, you will notice on this board that many still have feelings for their ex years after a breakup.

Few are as malicious as you to wish them harm.

What Girls Said 11

• You can still care very much for another person even if you break up with them, some people have mutual or amicable break ups. Even if you don't like them anymore, you should still be able to appreciate someone who helped you develop and played an important role in their life.

• You can still care, you just don't like them in a romantic way.

• are you freaking serious? losing someone that was important to you is extremely painful, the fact things didn't end up as u wish they did, doesn't mean you stop caring about someone.

• The thought of death in general isn't appealing to anyone. They dont necessarily have to like their now dead ex to feel closer the the reality of what they fear (death). When they die, death seems relevant. Exes and anyone you are or were close to you were emotional symbols at some point in your life. Those symbols cut deep and the reality of death is sometimes felt.. reguardless of whether you currently care for them.

• They were once part of your life, after all. No matter how much you hate them after the breakup, they will always have a special spot in your heart.

• For one of my ex's it will be because of relief he can't hurt any one again

• I think it's out of several things : love, guilt, and realizing life's brevity.

• Because not wanting a relationship and not caring are two diffrent things and death is always sad unless the person is a terrible person (rapist murder animal abuser...) and even then its sad for their family

• just bc you broke up with them doesn't mean you're over them.

• Because some people are human, oddly enough isn't it? like they have emotions?

• But the person died.. who wouldn't cry if they were close to them at some point..

What Guys Said 7

• I don't know may be some feelings are still there inside them ( for their ex) may be that's why they cry.

• I would cry if my ex died because she is my daughter's mom. So I would feel horrible for my daughter sake!

In addition, if she died I would be sad too! We spent 20 plus years together and shared memories, that just doesn't get turned off like a light switch!

• Because that person was a chapter of their life.

• Because some people have humanity in them which makes them soft even when a disliked person leaves this world. They might remember all the good the person had done, but sadly he/she is gone now.

• Because most people would see it as a person dying. Not an "ex" dying.

• They may still care about the person. Or the fact that it is someone they know let alone been close with is now gone.

• It's fake to you for reasons. It's not fake to them for reasons too not everyone break up for cheating issues or bs reasons some couples would break up for other reasons like lost interest or money issues or any issue that will cause breakup with no bad souvenir so I believe that's why some would cry.