My boyfriend broke up with me for his career... ?

I was in an 8 month relationship with him... and I can't help but rewind how it all lead up to the break up.

Long story short. a month into my boyfriends new job as an auditor at RSM, I knew I was bound to expect less attention from him considering how many hours of work he was going to have, and how important I knew this new job was for him and his career.
I was completely happy for him, and thrilled to know he landed his dream job at one of the top 4 audit companies in America.

I guess I saw it coming..

He finally came to me one day expressing how he has a lot going on and that he can't continue this relationship for now.
And that I deserve someone that can nurture me and give me the attention that he once could give me when he was in his previous job as a retail accountant.

I'm dealing with it fine now, however difficult it was for me to accept at first.. considering that I too am in need of focusing on my career as well.

I know because of mutual friends and also his sister that he's even working on saturdays now.
He's not seeing anyone... so i guess this break up really was about his stress at keeping this new job..

I guess my question here is, can this really be a valid excuse to end a relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely and good for him.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's hard to find balance sometimes.
    It's even hard to juggle two things all at once.
    Perhaps, this was for the best.

My brother is studying to be a Doctor and was away in another country for 3 months (only coming back 2 weeks at a time), and then going back.
    Him and his girlfriend made their relationship work.
    But this isn't for everyone.

What Guys Said 8

• There really is no one set valid excuse for a relationship break up. Some people are going to see career as a sensible choice while others are going to see it as a horrible one.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is, he fell into the latter group. He may have thought that the relationship was taking too much time and wanted to work hard/rise through the ranks at work.
    Some would call that a hard working individual, others would simply call him a "Ebenezer Scrooge." We all seek happiness in different ways.

Personally, I wouldn't want to break up because of that, and I don't think I would, but it is a valid excuse to break up still because he finds it valid.

I guess, as horrible as the situation turned out to be, all you can do is move on and try to put this behind you.

• It is rare for someone to breakup a relationship on the grounds of not having time to spend with the significant other due to a new employment.

However, if the new employment warrants the person to relocate to another city or town, it may cause a breakup especially if the other party is unwilling relocate. Was that the case with your ex boyfriend?

If it wasn't the case, it means the long-working hours is not the reason for breaking up with you. Alternatively, it could be a valid reason, but he loves his job more than you. Put bluntly, he never really loved you. The job is an excuse to sign-out from the relationship.

• for him, yes.

for me, i would have tried to make it work if i really really liked her and saw a future together.

• What a load of crap. Look when you love a girl you would do anything to see her. What an excuse he thinks the grass is greener with other women go no contact for two months. It will be hard but you need to think for yourself. If my girlfriend would leave me? Or it was at risk I would get up off my ass and rush to my car and I would be driving 100mph just to stop that bullcrap this guy is lost lol

• For me, no it is not enough reason. But you have to understand that people are different,

• I can't understand his choice and would never have acted like this. But each to their own, I guess.

• no. are you sure that he'd get married and have kids after he retire? butbut his life his choice.

• He plans to stay until he reaches enough experience to work for private accounting at one of his clients companies. And then he can re-attain a normal 9-5 work life balance...

As for marriage.. i feel its too early for the both of us. He's only 25

• you do something for yourself and keep yourself busy. west is all about money, degrees and achievements. in our society, we leave our dream job and college just like that so that we shouldn't move away from our family. I think a western man or woman understand his feelings. being a man who skipped a govt exam, job and even the bpharm degree seat which was procured by paying 12lakh rupees for a Long distant girlfriend from our enemy country , I can't understand his feelings. well politics destroyed our relationship and now we're going to name our future son and daughter, each other's name.

• tell everyone he sucked at sex and has a small dick. then fuck the biggest blackest black guy you both know and make him a cuck.

What Girls Said 1

• Yes. Some people have different aspirations. I have found men tend to use the 20s/30s to get where they want to be before they settle while a woman is happily slow burning. We know we can work and move up gradually but a man wants to be in a position to then find the right girl and settle down rather than do it all together... Some men are not this way but a lot of them are!