Should I warn my boyfriend that "we need to talk"?

I won't go into full details about why, but I'm preparing myself to break up with my boyfriend. For various reasons, it needs to come to an end.

Should I warn him? Should I just wait until we see each other next? I won't be seeing him for a few days but it will drive me insane until then.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless he's violent, I'd tell him changes are forthcoming and that you need a serious talk with him when he arrives. Tell him that you can't share the details until he's with you.
    That way, he won't know exactly what you're about to say but he'll have a pretty good idea and probably he'll have thought out a response.
    If he's prone to violence tell him in a public place where help is present. Maybe have a couple of friends at a table nearby in a coffee shop.
    Have courage, girl.

• So tell him prior to him coming over?

• Before you see him again tell him to expect to have a serious talk about your future. But give no further details until you see him.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think dragging it out until you see each other in person is necessary.. is there a reason you're waiting the next few days?

If you "warn him" you're already effectively breaking up with him, telling someone "hey just letting you know next time we see each other i'm going to leave you" isn't the nicest thing lol. (I know you won't say it that way, but for examples sake)

It'll also depend on your situation. If you want him to suffer for the next few days I can't say anything against that.

What Guys Said 7

• I think that is mature and classy although it may feel not like it.

But do it in a better light.
    "Jimbob", I have something Id like to talk with you about. when are you free this week". prefer verbal, but if it is a bad, dangerious, emotionally bad relationship, then maybe email.

• Honestly, I personally hate the "We need to talk" warning. It just drives the other person crazy thinking about it in anticipation.

Breaking up with someone is always tough, but being straightforward and honest is always the best way to go. ;)

• I get it drives you insane. I've had to do it before. But it probably is best to not drive him insane either by just giving him an extended warning. But it may prep him better also. No way to really tell. Good luck either way.

• I would suggest you do in person and also give him the reasons why you are breaking up with him so he can improve later on.

• Just ring him and tell him BUT I warn you to not end it purely on emotions and think more logically is it truly worth it. As emotions can change more times than you change your underwear !

• tell him you need to talk and break up in person.

• So you want to drive him insane by letting him worry about your relationship until you finally get around to breaking up with him? Just break it off clean, and don't leave the guy worrying about it for days before you have a chance to talk. I really think guys need to just start dumping girls the moment she says "we need to talk". It is clearly used as a way just to screw with us at this point as oppose to trying to prepare us for anything.

What Girls Said 2

• You should just do it!

• tell him until you guys see again