Guys, Is it possible my ex actually is depressed and REALLY broke up with me because he thinks he brings me down?

Filter2682
My boyfriend of 5 years broke it off a week ago. About a year ago, he moved back to his hometown because he thought that might make things better and make him happier. He was/is unhappy a lot of the time. We visited eachother almost every weekend after that. About two years ago, he tried to break it off saying that he is always unhappy and angry and doesn't know why and felt like he was just bringing me down all of the time. I cried and begged him to let us try again, so we did. About a month ago, I finally broke down and told him how his moving made me feel like I wasn't enough and I felt that we had both become complacent in the relationship. We talked again the next weekend and he said he wasn't sure that things would change, and I said I thought they could if we tried but that I could guarantee nothing other than that I would try to fix the things I do wrong. I left the decision up to him and he said we could try again. Things were off after that, and so a week ago when he was visiting I asked if we needed to talk. He said maybe, and we did. He said the same things he has said two years ago and said he doesn't know what's wrong with him and that he's always unhappy and didn't know how to fix it. I said ok, and it was done. He wanted to see me again before he left so we saw each other the next two days also. He cried, and really hard, every time I saw him. He said he wanted to try and be friends, and I agreed. He also said he didn't want to make any promises but maybe if he got help there could be a future later. He told me he still loves me. And that when he's ready to date again, I'm the only person he'd want to. I guess my question (s) are, why would he want to stay friends and still talk everyday? Why couldn't he try and get help while dating IF he was serious about a possible future reconciliation? Was he serious? Is he trying to string me along? I am trying to not get my hopes up and just think it's done forever, but it's hard. Thoughts?
3