Why would a guy declare love a month into dating and then dump you?

I recently met a guy in February, we started dating after our 3rd date, he said he wanted more than friends. We've spent a couple of months together in which I've met some of his friends and family. He's met my kids. He declared love for me about a month into it and said I was special to him, he said he was so glad he's met me etc. He made me feel truly special. We recently spent the wk end together but he seemed a little distant during the week. I get a text from him saying was he reading too much into the lack of communication. I sent him a text the next day asking if his feeling had changed and that if so to just say instead of letting me down gently. He then hits me with a text saying he doesn't see it working long term for us. No apologies nothing. I told him I understood and thanks for saying. I was wondering why he'd say all that about loving me, knowing I had kids and then just dump me via a text. Is this guy confused or just a spineless coward. I'm truly gutted and don't know if I should let him just go?

54

Most Helpful Guy

• hi 41 close to my age,,, Run Dump him or slow down big time,, him fear i bet is kicking his butt an lots of confusion now he, s seeing the big picture i think we all guilty of it at first its lust, then hopefully love but its kinda been proven in studys aprox 3 months the lust an great sex slows down an the bigger picture an thinking, the fears, confusion of kids moneys commentments i bet there so many things going on between his ears maybe give it time sounds like he needs it an if your worth it he well figure things out... whats the saying first three month is lust then reality kicks in

• I was thinking this too.. because he knew I had kids from the off and our sex had been very good. I really thought he was happy. But after the wk end I dropped him off some tablets as he'd had back pain and never heard from until I realised the next day I'd missed a night text from him and he was off the following day asking me if everything was OK? I said yes and that's when he went distant on me. He texted me the following day to ask if he'd read too much into the lack of communication and I stupidly didn't reassure him. The next day he ends it with me eith the he wants long term and he doesn't think long term is going to work for us...

• yep well im to old for this site looks like 18 to 24 an some younger dammmm LOL what am i doin here LOL

• Yer at 41 me and he 45 you'd be done with the messing about...

Most Helpful Girl

• Why did you not say that he should not be reading into lack of communication? It seemed as if he was worried that you were backing off so maybe he was trying to protect himself or beat you to the punch. If you did and just left that out then I would say that it always seems guys are really into someone at first then they get scared or see things they actually do not like and then they leave. Women seem to be a little more cautious and then decide to let their guards down and start liking someone after a little while. At least in my experience, it seems by the time I decide I like someone, they are backing off. So, maybe that is what happened.