How do people cope with breaking up with someone they really care about and don't want to hurt? I don't want to have any regret. I love my boyfriend so much?

My boyfriend has been nothing but so good towards me as well as be so supportive.
I have been really sick lately and he has coped and been so supportive, helping me through my health issues. And i have a lot of stress with my family but he's helped me cope with that as well. Just having him be there for me has helped. He treats me so well. Does the nicest things like treat me to the spa with my mom. And give me flowers and does nice things with gifts or on dates. And he visits me when ever he gets the chance to. I really don't take him for granted. I appreciate everything he does for me.
I love him so much for being the best he can be with me.
We have been dating over a year now and before we were together he was aware of me going to school in Vancouver (across Canada from where I'm originally from.) My boyfriend and I have been fully prepared to work out long distance. Now that I have three months left before I go to school. He does say he's worried that he'll lose his best friend, and last thing I said was "you won't lose me, I'm not gone forever, its only a year, it would work out. we just need to do lots of skypeing and sending things to one another in the mail, that sort of thing." The fact that I'm thinking differently now makes me feel like an asshole.
who ever is reading this is probably thinking "why the fuck would you consider breaking up with him being so good to me?" Well... keep reading until the end and it will help you understand and make sense why I am thinking the way I am.

***I don't have enough room to explain so i will Finnish in the comments for the rest of my explanation.
Finishing up the part about me going to school. Initially my boyfriend is planning to move out to Vancouver to live there with me if I decide to stay there for work. He said he would search for some work there. He's currently working now and will be working through the year that I'm gone for school. it's not a permanent job my boyfriend works at so he can easily find work in his type of field.
Let me note as well that no way is this idea of breaking up having to do with long-distance. I would make it work
100% because I love him that much and I don't take him for granted. I know we can trust each other completely with not cheating etc because we have a lot of devotion for one another.
My boyfriend has wanted to help me with temporary funds for when I go to school, but I told him that I don't want to accept that. I'm too stubborn and independent to do that. Plus I find accepting someone's money could be complicated.

12