What would you do if your ex wanted to be friends?

Just wondering.
My ex boyfriend broke up with me a week ago and I was devastated and still am. Prior to that I got a bass guitar as I was going to join his band, but he kicked me out cos he didn't want me to know all his friends cuz then I'll have more friends than him. I was nice and understanding when we broke up. He called me yesterday telling, not asking, for me to drop off the guitar at his house. And he wanted to be friends but if he got a girlfriend would have to stop cos of the relationship we had.
I basically just wanted a platonic friendship cos we were best friends before the relationship. I wasn't happy and I said I've got other friends I don't need you in my life, my heart has no place for you and blocked him on everything.
Was that mean of me? Cos I was protecting myself from being upset when he finds another girlfriend

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• To me, I would but both times I tried to be friends with two of my ex's both times put me in the lowerst points of my life. It's a good feeling, but if you want to get back with them and you're dropping hints and they just want someone different, it will hurt like hell. Trust me.

I wouldn't try to be friends if I was you reading your situation, it would be pretty okay at first, but like me I just associated her company with my happiness, and after she got in a relationship I just felt like pure shit. It COULD be different for you, being around him and talking might help give him the idea that it was all one big mistake, but a lot of the time that just doesn't happen. It fucking kills seeing someone you loved just not even give two shits about you especially when they still mean so much to you.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Normally i wouldn't mind but based on your story, i would have done the same thing, I wouldn't be friends. Especially if he gets a girlfriend then you're not friends, that's not friendship. Eventually he will get a girlfriend and so then all the time you would have spent with him would have gone to waste, Friendship isn't meant to be temporary it's supposed to be everlasting, so we can both see each others futures and be there for one another when you need it, and see each other grow old. I think you did the right thing.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• what you both said was accurate. he could be friends until he got a new girlfriend and you said no, I'll move on now.

the way you did it was cold and mean yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would try my best, but wouldn't want to be involved in anything regarding her new SO unless I myself had one at the same time.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on why we broke up, maybe we can remain friends

But if she for example cheated on me, then it's probably going to be a Noooooo

0|0
    0|0
  • I would tell her to stop bothering me, like I did when we broke up - a break up means that she no longer exists in my world.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would tell her she can't have it both ways and tell her to get lost

0|0
    0|0
  • Put restraining order on her, she tried to stab Me once

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• in my opinion he seems really douchey to be honest, you did the right thing don't be friends with him. It'd be different if he wasn't douchey but, since he is, you dodged a bullet.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on y it broke up, I would use him for sex, only when and how I wanted.. And if he's not down with that move on!
    It's messy just to be friends

0|0
    0|0
  • You are only 20 years old. Move on

0|0
    0|0

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

Recommended myTakes