I'm still in love with him, and he with me, but do I need to move on?

Anonymous
Alright, well, we were dating a year.
He was my second boyfriend, but my first kiss, and my first true love.
We had our whole future planned out, we were going to go to college together, get jobs in IT, get married, and move into an apartment somewhere close to home. I moved states because I love this guy and I wanted to be near him because we were really serious about starting our lives together.

Well a couple of weeks ago, he broke up with me. He said our paths are too different (although this entire time he had lead me to believe we were on the same path, going to the same place) and that we needed to break it off so he could grow emotionally and mentally and I could do the same.

He told me that he also wanted to pretty much "skip" the grieving stage and go straight to being best friends again like we were before we began dating, but I've been finding it increasingly hard to do so even though I'm trying. He says he still loves me and that if we're both single still by the time we're "ready" (I guess it's up to him to determine that) that he'd like to start again.

Thing is, even though I still love him, I don't know if I want to wait for him to come back from this "self exploring journey," but the side of me that adores this man keeps saying "of course you do!"

I'll be moving states again soon and pursuing a more self satisfying path, something I've actually been wanting to do (going to college for IT was his idea and he kinda yanked me into it with him) and he keeps saying how he'll miss me terribly but he'll support my decision and be there for me always.

But I kinda feel like I want to have a few more relationships, see if there's anyone else I might like more, see if this isn't just because he's my first true love.

Should I wait for the love of my life, no matter how long it takes, or see what other fish are in the sea?

2
3