What is my ex-boyfriend thinking? Need a males perspective on guy/s motives/emotions.. What should I do?

ThatCatGirl
2 months ago, my ex dumped me, because he felt I wasn't there for him enough. I was in school and had 2 jobs. Anyway, during the 2 months, we spoke once. I called and said, that I still have deep feelings for him and apologized. He said, he didn't feel the same way. Anyway, a week ago, he text me and said "come over". I went to his place and we had sex. We spent Saturday together. I asked if we could hang out Sunday. He said, "I don't know". Then on Sunday night, he text "I'm sorry, I don't want you to think I used you, but I think we should go our separate ways. I was hurt again. I never responded and decided to ignore him moving forward.

However, on Thursday, he called and I never responded. Friday, he text "hey" and I never responded. Friday night he text "Let hang out". I never responded. Today is his Birthday and he text " I know you are ignore me. That's fine. Take care". Now I feel bad!! I want to hangout and respond, but I don't want to get used again. I don't want him to play with my emotions. He makes me feel weak. He knows I love him. He has no one to spend his birthday with and I'm tempted to make it great for him, but for what?

I feel bad and wonder if I should reach out or am I wasting my time? I don't want to get used. What is he thinking? What do you think is best? Need advised !
3
1