My girlfriend split up with me after just a month. It had been going so well but she says she's not ready for a relationship'. What should I do?

Jon1096
This girl and I had an absolutely amazing first date and I could not believe I had found someone like her. It just seemed so right at the time to ask her out, and she jumped into arms and was ecstatic. I've never been in a relationship before myself but I thought we had something.
The first two weeks were great, she was so intimate and going on dates seemed effortless. We would chat for hours on end and then do whatever we felt like. However, we didn't see each other for two weeks (We were both really busy revising for our uni exams and had exams the following week). It was in the second week, that she told me she was having doubts about whether she wanted to be in a relationship at all. I had noticed that in the second week, she had been texting me a lot less and it was concerning me a bit. I thought she might have just been extra busy with revising.
We had agreed to meet up the day we finished our exams anyway, but this was when she dropped the bombshell. She told me she was not 'mentally ready' for a relationship with anyone. She told me the cliche 'it's not you, it's me' but she emphasised that she truly meant it, calling me such an amazing guy. She and I were both crying, she was holding my hand whilst telling me how she felt and just appeared so upset. I asked her how sure she was about her decision and she said 60/40 in favour of leaving.
Prior to our exams, there had been nothing to suggest that our relationship was doomed so I just feel really confused. I don't know whether to truly believe what she told me, or whether she's covering it up for something else. I would feel so much better knowing how she truly feels. We haven't contacted each other for a few days, and I'm not willing to message first. I don't want to come across as needy.
I feel heartbroken and I'm constantly thinking I've done something wrong even though she assures me I haven't. We both agreed however that we got together far too quickly, but we admitted it felt so right at the same time.
5
1