I left my boyfriend who loved me so much because I can't love him back the same amount. Did I do the right thing?

Anonymous
Hi so I broke up with my boyfriend of 1 and a half year because I know I can't pay back the love he gives me. I tried though. But it wasn't easy. he's always been there for me and I make him happy by simply just existing. He has done efforts. And I've let the relationship stay longer because whenever we argue and I try to break up and tell him. He begs for me to stay. and I feel bad because I see how hurt he is. But I am unhappy with the relationship because I dont love him that much. He annoys me from time to time and I knew from the beginning we wouldn't match. I just felt bad to reject because of how sad he gets. And now I've finally have left him and got out of the relationship. My question is. Did I do the right thing? Or should I have just stayed and try harder to love the things I hate about him? Was I selfish or selfless or both?
1
4