He is a good guy but I don't want to be friends anymore. How do I get him to stop messaging me?

Anonymous
This is a result of me trying to be nice... I'm a college student and i meet this guy in a film club. He is a good guy but he is really socially awkward. He doesn't really relate to people because he has really niche interests (like 16th century sh*t). i pitied him and would sometimes talk to him and even got coffee with him once. He told me how he doesn't really have friends and how people have blocked him on fb before. And how it really affected him. And ever since he considers me like a close friend. But now its gotten to the point where when he fb messages me, all he wants to do is talk about himself and im tired of it. I'm busy, i got sh*t to do. I dont have time to to message him just to talk to him about his life! So i started ignoring him on fb. But once every few months he will message me "hello" , "hello again", "hi again" . He isn't getting the hint! I feel bad because i know he is a good person and he doesn't have very many friends. But i dont want to waste my time talking to him and going out of my way for him when we dont have anything in common. How do i get him to stop talking to me without being mean?
3
1