Shall I be friends with my ex?

Hi, I just wanted some advise. I was in a relationship for a year and a half with my ex, we split up in April due to distance (he moved in December) for his career due to his long unsociable working hours and uni work he no longer had time for me and we would argue over this until one day I couldn't cope anymore and ended it. The longest we went was 2 weeks no contact and then had a very basic how are you convos, 6 weeks after we met up and I had such strong feeling for him still, and I saw it in his eyes he still loved me, we both haven't gone off with other people and we slept together and afterwards arranged we would go on dates together, he said he couldn't just go back to the relationship as he was still hurting, which is fair enough but he also doesn't know what he is doing, where he is going to live, if he was going to stay where he was etc he said he could see a future with me but couldn't see a relationship right now as he doesn't even know what he is doing. he said he wasn't interested in dating anyone else. We went on 1 date in a month and I asked him if I was wasting my time because every time I tried to suggest something he would snap at me and he said he didn't feel any different he can't forgive me for ending it, he sounds very depressed and I want to be there for him but at the same time I know I have to look after myself, I'm so scared if I let him go he will go off with someone else and forget about me, I love him to bits still but I know that it's not working now and may never work again, he insisted we stayed friends but I don't know if I can, my friends say I should just move in find someone else but I just don't even want to look at anyone else, I feel like he was the one but he's changed since he left, not the same fun happy person now he's more depressed and down and argumentative I don't know the best way to handle this?

20

Most Helpful Girl

• If you love him, then do what feels right to you. He isn't with anyone else, he clearly wants the relationship but feels too vulnerable and still a bit angry, but the want is there and he's willing to see you, so go one day at a time and just see what evolves. It's up to you how long to spend waiting for a response before having enough.