I tried to break up with my boyfriend of 2 years and he guilted me into staying?

Anonymous
I still care about him deeply. Two years is a long time to be with someone after all. But I decided to break up because he's just simply not what I want. He has personality flaws that I'd forgiven or overlooked up until now, but I realize I just can't live with them long term. That and the fact that we don't connect like I want to. I feel like we're roommates that have sex rather than best friends or partners.

Anyway, I tried to break up last week and he reacted much more dramatically than I was expecting. He was heartbroken and angry and kept saying he couldn't be without me, he would do anything to keep us together, he wants to get married and have kids and grow old together. It upset me so much that I agreed to stay and work on things. But I really don't think this is something that can be fixed.

What should I do? Even if he does change his personality for my sake, I'm still not sure that would fix things. I was very resentful after all of this because I felt like I was guilt tripped into staying. And every time I gave him an example of something I didn't like (I only said because he asked), I was met with excuses and him trying to justify his mistakes.
3
1