Boyfriend is not letting me end the relationship?

Boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, lived together for 1. I decided that I need to end the relationship for a few reasons including:

- He's shown a regular lack of consideration for my feelings (unknowingly - he just doesn't think about the consequences of his actions).
- He's very immature. We once had a small argument and he gave me the cold shoulder for two days.
- We have no common interests. We have a few TV shows we watch together but that's about it.
- I don't feel a strong connection with him, and I don't feel respect towards him. Those things are really important and it's concerning that I still feel this way after 2 years.

Our relationship isn't awful, but it's not what I want. Anyway, I've tried to end things twice in the last month. The first time, he got very emotional and I ended up staying out of guilt (bad move I know - I'm just a very sensitive and empathetic person and I hate causing him pain). The second time - last night - he pretty much said that my reasons for wanting to leave weren't good enough, and he doesn't see any harm in going to therapy and trying to fix it. Maybe he's right, but I just don't want that right now. I want space, I want time to myself, and I truly believe I'm making the right decision.

What do I do? Do I just pack up and leave one day? I'm not sure I'll ever get him to understand.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you live with him? He's basically manipulating you into staying with him and that shows a bigger character and red flag, because he knows how you are so he will use those things against you.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah that's what it seems like :( And yes we live together.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• Just tell him to be a man and don't whine like a 16 year old girl who thinks her life would collapse with a break-up.

Seriously, I get really irritated by people like this.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I think this goes back to his whole immaturity thing.

• Many years ago, like your boyfriend, I wouldn't take no for an answer, too. After 27 months of on/off, I finally got the hint when she told me she was moving to another city to live with another man.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dump his needy ass, you need to be tough with him maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • Pack up and leave.

0|0
    0|0
  • Screw your friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can leave whenever you want but i don't think going to therapy would harm you, you can just see what the professional thinks and let the therapist know what your concerns are, if it still doesn't work then leave, he will understand eventually.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, you just leave. He can't "not let you breakup" with him. You're a big girl, you make your own decisions.

1|0
    0|0
  • You need to do what's best for YOU! Don't let him manipulate you or talk you into staying with him if you aren't happy. If you think space is what you need, then that's what you need to do. Break ups are hard but in the end, you have to be a little selfish. You can't stay in a relationship where you're unhappy just because you don't want to cause him pain. It's going to hurt, that's a given, but it's like ripping off a band-aid. You just have to do it and get it over with so you can begin to heal and move on.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's not how it works. If you want to break up, you break up. But if you do break up, leave. Don't stay, that's not fair to either one of you.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes