After a break up did you never speak to your ex again?

Anonymous
My boyfriend and I of nearly five years have broken up. He has said to me previously he doesn't speak to exes again but I think they all dumped him. This time round he was confused about his feelings so we kind of broke up as we didn't know what to do and he seems to have been in a depressed state pushing me away. I said some harsh things as I was heart broken at the weekend but emailed him saying I didn't mean it and I would give him space now, which I emailed on Monday.
I haven't heard from him this week and I haven't chased as trying to stick to my word to see if he misses me etc, how else will he know?
His parents and mutual friends know. I miss him so much but he needs to work out what he wants on his own as I think he is having some commitment pressure issues. I just worry he will give up now.
8
3