Why say "you deserve better than me" ?

Why do people who do the breaking up say "Why say "you deserve better than me" ?

44

Most Helpful Girl

• to make u feel better about them breaking up with u.
    its like answering "fine" good" when someone asks u how ur doing in passing. it just comes naturally.

• do they feel guilty about what they did? if they are to blame for the relationship ending

• some people do, some don't. its just part of the break up rules. it sucks and its corny and pathetic... but its just something that makes us feel better when dumping someone :/

• @frozenhorizon i agree... cuz u kno they dont even mean it, so why even bother, when u could just part ways and leave it alone. but people r weak and afraid and they do whats easiest.

Most Helpful Guy

• Simple reasons... they have massive self esteem issues that get in their way of having a functional relationship, and often it probably indicates that they feel guilty about being interested in someone else or not being interested in you anymore, then they ironically use that guilt as justification for why you shouldn't be with them (i. e. they're a bad person).

From my experience, when someone says that to me, they're probably right.

• what makes you think they would be interested in somebody else for them to say that?

• Because, if they're interested in someone else, then they feel shitty about not being loyal to their partner. Then they say you deserve someone better (i. e. who won't become interested in someone else), which is true.

• Could your answer be applied to if the guy is married and ended his long term affair?