Is this a guy's way of breaking up without actually saying it?

I have been dating a guy for about 5 months. He is in his 40's, I'm in my 30s. We had a couple rocky weeks in that time frame where he just shut me right out of his life. Would not talk to me at all. He finally said he was very busy with work, etc that it was his fault and to please back off him a little. He said he didn't really know what he wanted right now;. He loves to constantly say...I will call you at this time but doesn't. Today I called him like normal just to see what was going on...and he talked for a couple minutes and says I am doing laundry, I will call you as soon as I get upstairs. Once again...no call. This isn't the first time. These past 2 weeks have been absolutely terrible with him. He doesn't want to talk at all. He says he needs time to get his life in order. He is going on a 2 week business trip and says that when he gets back things will be back to normal where he calls me quite frequently, etc.

Things got rocky between us because before he told me that if he did not call within 2 days of when he says he would, then I would know that it is over. So he didn't call for 4 days and when he did call, I reminded him of that. He cannot say for sure that he wants it over, but told me to leave it at that.

Is he saying that it is over and he just can't come right out and say it? For some reason he is holding on.
0
2