Have you ever been able to remain a close, amicable friend with a former lover?

My girlfriend broke up with me last week. I won't go into the reasons here, but we have continued to talk on a daily basis, and she wants to remain friends.

I still love her. More than anything. Trying to come to terms with where things are now. It should be noted that we're long-distance and she is dealing with A LOT right now. I want to be supportive.

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I had one serious boyfriend before the one I ended up marrying. We went out 2001-2002 for 18months and I got together with my now husband in 2003. He is still a girfriend of mine and now he is one of my husbands as well. We probably hang out like 12 times a year these days and we broke up 14years ago... lol. Oh and he was at my wedding 9 years ago.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yean i have, if the breakup was amicable there's no reason why not. The trick is not to push the 'friendship' too much if she gets distant let her go.

0|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Absolutely, you can remain friends. I have several of these 'friends'. Although, be forewarned that you may always care about her a bit more than true platonic friends. For example, you may get jealous if she starts dating someone new, etc. I would recommend you distance yourself a bit or the break-up process will be prolonged.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you both can handle it, I see no reason it couldn't work. And maybe after things calm down for her you could end up together again? You never know.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to give it time.
    my ex of a year and a half had a horrible patch where he used me for sex. But 2/3 years down the line now and we're closer than ever

0|0
    0|0
  • don't see how it would be good for you mentally and emotionally but sure

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure, if you give it some time and respect any boundaries.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only have one former lover and I know for a fact that I'm not able to remain close and amicable with him

0|0
    0|0
  • No , I cut all ties and move on. Remaining friends with an ex brings about too much drama , and complicates future relationships. I view it as disrespectful to my new SO.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never could without feeling hurt. I had to separate myself completely because it consumed me too much.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• Fuck no

0|0
    0|0
  • Barely, I can't really handle that sort of thing personally. There's only one ex of mine I'm still sort of on good terms with, but I think it's only because she feels bad for me or something dumb like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I haven't, each girlfriend I had didn't want to be friends since I was aggressive during the break up. I had anger issues and every time I was the dumpee. Yeah it hasn't gone well for me so far but I'm young and I can change my ways in time.

0|0
    0|0