Really scared I will never forget my ex? It's been years?

Anonymous
I was in an emotionally abusive relationship with a guy for two years. We broke up a year and a half ago - after the breakup I met a guy who treated me well, but there was no passion so I left him. I also thought about my ex constantly when I was with this guy.

My ex cheated on me many times. He had substance/alcohol problems. Unfortunately he was the most passionate person I'd ever met - the way he loved me is unforgettable, the things he said, how he fought for me, etc. For the first year after we broke up he messaged me consistently, begging to have me back, telling me things I've never heard anyone say - You're the one, you've imprinted my soul, I'll wait 10 years for you, etc.. He knew he would never get anything from me, I made myself clear, and he kept fighting.

Now I haven't heard from him in six months since I kept ignoring him. (I didn't want to, but I felt I had to.) I think about him constantly - seeing him, his car, being able to bump into him by coincidence. It's been this way, coming and going in waves, for the last year and a half. We had a VERY emotional, vulnerable, passionate relationship and I can't seem to forget that - our connection was almost spiritual. I know if I saw him ever again, even after years, I'd feel the same.

I'm scared I'll never get over him. I've tried whatever I can, therapy, new relationship, focusing on myself, and he always comes back. I don't know what to do or how to move on from him? Would it be terrible to message him on facebook every once and a while to see how we're both doing? He did terrible things, broke my trust a billion times, but the way he persistently fought for me after we broke up and how passionate he was about me keeps me holding on somehow.
4
3