Why do guys come on really strong in the beginning of the relationship and then back off completely?

Anonymous
I was dating a guy and he seemed super in to me. I don't think it was about sex because we were having sex long before he asked me to be his girlfriend, and we didn't have sex every time we saw each other (only like once a week maybe). He asked me to be his girlfriend, introduced me to his friends and coworkers as his girlfriend (I didn't pressure him for a relationship at all), texted and called every day, and chimed that he felt so much for me and that it was love at first sight (by his body language he seemed to actually mean it). He told me he loved me after only a few weeks of dating. He said he wanted to do long distance when I go off to school and he wanted to try to be together for a long time. Then, he started making lame excuses as to why he couldn't call right now or couldn't see me. We'd make plans and he'd forget about them. I always asked why every time he did one of these things, and he eventually broke up with me, saying I nag him too much and he wasn't going to make a relationship a priority at this age. I'm just confused because it seemed like he really liked me and the last time I talked to him he seemed so over it, and said I'm moving on and have no intentions of getting back with you
2
4