Have you ever left a city or state because of a break up?

How did leaving help or hurt you after the break up and looking back, would you have stayed, rather than just leave, and dealt with the pain?
Wasn't necessarily asking for myself, just wanted other peoples experiences if they did...

54

Most Helpful Guy

• I moved not to a whole new city but another district. I just couldn't stop thinking about her. My apartment still had so much things of hers, and I found myself so sentimental.

I remembered every single street we walked along around that area, and the footsteps we made today, and the conversations we had.

I also dropped all my friends since they became her friends as well. I let her have them, the whole lot, and started over with no friends. I also reinvented myself, changed my whole look, went traveling searching for a way to forget her, etc. In time it finally happened after over a year where I got so excited about doing things and had cut off all ties to her and all things reminding me of her that I could move on.

Note that this wasn't a usual kind of break-up. She was my fiance and broke up with me a week after I celebrated the fact that we were going to get married with my friends. I went from the highest point in my life to the lowest over the course of a week, and I became disconnected from the entire world around me.

• I remembered every single street we walked along around that area, and the footsteps we made today [/together], and the conversations we had.

• It was all fuzzy. For the first year I could just be sitting idle in a room and every night and think about her so much and miss her so much that my face was literally throbbing with pain. I also didn't help it because I kept all the things she left behind, refused to throw them away, and kind of dwelling pathetically in misery while getting drunk every chance I could. I also tried to sleep with other women to try to forget about her, somewhat using them (also felt guilty about that) only to find I felt absolutely nothing at all for them and only missed her more.

It was only when I threw everything away and moved out and started building a whole new network of friends and planning things together that I realized, one day, that she had faded to the back of my mind. I think that was a quite a bit after that happened -- this realization. I just realized I wasn't like a wounded animal at that point, but it wasn't like an exact moment where I realized I had moved on.

• In retrospect when I had moved on, I realized neither of us had the emotional maturity to handle the commitment and the prospect of living together. I was immature and escalated arguments with her to the point of world war 3, and it was one of those roller-coaster relationships always going towards break-up and make-up. I was left stunned when, on the final time we had such an argument, she called off the marriage. After that I also learned never to escalate arguments, to be a bigger person even if I wasn't necessarily in the wrong, and to seek positive outcomes and cooperation in a relationship instead of some perception of total fairness. I met the one who would become my wife a few years later, and while it was the harshest lesson imaginable, it taught me how to build a peaceful, long-lasting relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should never run away from anything, it just means you gave someone that much power over you. You should stay in that state work on yourself and be happy. part of going through a break up accepting sometimes that person was not right for and figuring out who you, will you make the break up destroy or make you a better person.

• I wasn't asking for myself. lol. I was just asking about people's experiences with this...

• I understand but running away shouldn't be the answer. Personally for me after I break up I just want to be a better me, work out, eat better, do things I always wanted to do. And that helps with the pain.