How long should you wait after a breakup before getting into a new relationship?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• As soon as you're over the ex, which there's no minimum time required. You'll hurt yourself and your new person if you're dating when you have feelings for the ex.

I just started seeing a girl who I have a ton in common with and we had an amazing date but she just revealed to me last week that she just recently got out of a 5 year relationship so that makes me cautious. At least she hasn't complained about him or anything.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• You do what you feel is best for you. The important thing is to be sure you are done with pain and baggage that come with a breakup. It's not fair to you or the new guy if you are still emotionally involved in any way with the ex. Good luk!

0|0
    0|0
  • Just like you get another job before dumping the old one 😉

Just kidding you, there's no such fixed time frame. Everything depends on individual comfort

1|0
    0|0
  • You should wait at least an hour in my opinion, or preferably two hours, before getting into a new relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Best advice I think is, would be to not rush. Let those attachments and things fade away. You don't want previous relationship mess to mess up your new one!

0|0
    0|0
  • There's no one answer for that I'm afraid, everyone is different and requires different times of waiting before they're ready to get back into the saddle.

0|0
    0|0
  • How long would you wait if you had someone who is obviously better?

0|0
    0|0
  • Just wait and do it on God's time.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no number. Everyone is different

0|0
    0|0
  • 4 days.

0|0
    0|0
  • break up during lunch go on a date at dinner

0|0
    0|0
  • Immediately. no delay

0|0
    0|0
  • I usually get a new girlfriend before I breakup..

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard to say, I've heard it's as long as the relationship was

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think it's a matter of quantity but quality. It's not a rigid number.

If you could be so fortunate to meet another good single man right after your breakup, then sure, it's your decision to wait until getting to know him before getting into a relationship with him or not.

After you've known him, it's also your decision to let your heart recover from previous breakup, or to get into a relationship whenever you're ready.

But finding another man to replace that empty space may not be (or may be?) the best thing to do. If you need some time to recover from a breakup, don't randomly chose just anyone to be with, because that way you might not have a clear mind, and might be confused with your own feelings.

But if being in that new relationship will temporarily numb you, and you'd feel better, then sure. However, at one point you might realize you're complicating your thoughts and feelings. But who knows, maybe you'll be happily ever after and forget about your ex quickly.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you had time for yourself to recover, is completely over your ex without thinking of going back. Where your not about to have a rebound or use someone for that. However long you need to, not when you want to or else you'll just go right back to square one, except this time you make the other person miserable. Take as much time as you need. Be honest with yourself and be responsible for the breakup as your ex should also be. Don't play the blame game. Both of you are responsible.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends.

1) how close was your relationship with your ex?
    2) how and why did the relationship end?

#1~ if you were in love/engaged/married, it's different from breaking up with someone you only kinda liked or weren't serious with.

#2~ if you decided to just be friends, you may move on faster than if the break was one-sided or your partner cheated.

0|0
    0|0
  • Until you feel like you're mentally and physically ready to move on. Everyone moves on in different times, there's no really way to put a number on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really does depend on how long you's were together, the history between you's etc. A certain timeframe for one person won't necessarily be the same for another. Everyone's different. You'll know when you're ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard if you guys were serious and you were in love with him it take half as long as the relationship 😕

0|0
    0|0
  • When you're ready. It could go from a week to a year or more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Until you are happy being alone

0|0
    0|0
  • as mush as needed

0|0
    0|0
  • When you're good and ready

0|0
    0|0
  • 12 seconds. Just kidding, but whenever you're ready. If you're ready twelve seconds later then go ahead. You're a free woman.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes