Do you return gifts or items when you break up?

What was the reason you returned? What was the reason you didn't return? Does it affect you? How soon aswell do you do this?

• I usually return
    16%(7)22%(11)Vote50%(4)
  • I usually don't
    84%(36)78%(40)Vote50%(4)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• You have to either return them or throw all of it out because you have to be in the process of moving on. You can't keep any of that stuff in your house, or it proves that you never moved on. Not smart to keep any items. Either make arrangements to remove them or throw them out. You do that and then block the phone number and delete it after you make arrangements to return them. If the person or ex doesn't care what you do with it, getting it in legal writing and notarize for proof, then get rid of it or they may try to come and sue you for their property. Overall digital pictures and videos of the ex's also needs to be taken off of social media and deleted from your camera or phone. Everything needs to go. You can't keep holding on to the past. If you date another person and they find unrelated items to you, they will question, demand to know why, and may even consider breaking up if you never moved on because they too don't want to get hurt. Some people can't handle it or want to feel 2nd best if you still have feelings for the ex.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would return them. I don't see a reason why I should keep them. I don't want to be reminded when I look at the gifts.

What Girls Said 22

• Nah. When I was little I was told that you shouldn't give back or give away a gift.

I suppose if I broke up with someone and they asked for it back then it'd be different.

When I was with my ex he gave me 3 things - A bracelet he'd got his friend to make for me, a loom band bracelet that he'd presumably made himself, and a pink plush toy mouse.

During our first upset when he basically said in so many words that he was thinking of cheating on me, I got very upset/pissed of and threw out the bracelet he'd got his friend to make for me the next morning, even after he'd apologised and changed his mind about it. I decided to keep the loom band bracelet though, since he'd made it (didn't have the mouse at the time by the way in case you're wondering about that). I should have broke up with the guy there and then but my friend encouraged me to stay with him. Anyways, guy did end up cheating on me so I threw out the loom band bracelet & gave the toy mouse to my mum and told her to give it to my little cousin (though I'm still not sure if she actually did or just threw it out).

My current boyfriend and I used to be best friends before we started going out and promised to go back to being friends if things didn't work out between us. He is very sweet and all but he never puts in enough effort to our relationship or show much eagerness to see me which has really eaten away at me and made me depressed though he always reassures me he loves me, is not good at showing his feelings and feels bad whenever he upsets me.

His lack of effort has taken a toll on our relationship and I am considering breaking up if things don't change soon as it is making me lose (and have already lost) a lot of interest. He knows what's wrong so hopefully we can work things out before resorting to breaking up, but maybe I am just watering a dead flower here.

Should we break up and go back to being friends, I will put the necklace he gave me away in my jewellery box, out of sight. I will maybe put the cat mug he gave me out the way too along with a letter he once write me (which I had to ask for), the peep show DVDs he got me will go in the living room, out of my room, and any little kinder egg toys he gave me/swaped with me (we're both childish) will be put in a box along with other kinder egg toys to give to my little cousins.

Basically, I'd just put them out of my way so as not to have reminders. Why not throw them away? Well if we ended on good terms, it would feel mean to simply chuck them.

• I think the only thing I had worth returning was an engagement ring and I did not return it because he stole my car, somehow got my paycheck cashed, and ripped out my sound system and had it pawned. So nope. I sold the ring and went shopping.

• @redeyemindtricks yeah I could have. We had been friends for years though and dated for about 2 years. He started using drugs 1 1/2 into us dating, so I was trying to be nice and help him sober up, stay clean, get back on his feet. So I didn't. Ya live and learn right?

• No, that's quite immature. A gift is meant to be kept, not returned. I'd feel guilty for returning it because I'd view it as disrespectful. At the time of buying it he would have bought it from the goodness of his heart , so I'd still appreciate it even though we'd split up

• Nah, a gift is a gift if you go and demand those back from your partner after a break up it just goes to show you have absolutely no class. So no, I don't give gifts back to people, not to my friends when we had a bad argument and decided to end the friendship and not to a partner either, but if it was something expensive and I didn't wanna have the reminder around me 24/7 I'd sell it 😎💁🏻

• Depends what it is, if it'll be jewelry then that subject is a bit iffy. Anything else then I'll just keep, a gift is a gift a symbolism of a happy time a memory, doesn't mean I still love the guy or dream about him and long for him to come back. But I'm a mix of practicality and a collector, so ornaments, magnets I'll love the item for what it is and not because who gave it too me.

• For the most part in give things back. Why would I want anything that belonged to him?

• Or anything he gave me at a happier time. There are something's I've kept becuase Im sentimental but VERY few.

• Sad times.

• Yup it can be.

• No they were gifts.. now if it was a wedding ring, say we broke up before getting married then I would return it.

• Heck, no! I still have at least one awesome jacket or hoodie or piece of jewelry or something from most of the guys I dated. Fun memories. Why get rid of that? I treasure those times, and don't hold grudges.

• Hoodies they bought you, for you, in yr size?
      Or hoodies of theirs, that you "stole"?

(I'm making certain assumptions about clothing sizes, feel free to correct me if those assumptions are incorrect)

The former thing doesn't seem weird to me, but the latter kinda does.
      If I were a dude, and my g/f still had (and still *wore*) a previous dude's hoody, I... uh, I don't know how much I'd like that.

• @redeyemindtricks :) I see your point! But no, not like hoodies I borrowed from them because I was cold but then never returned. That kind of thing I gave back at the end of our flings together or donated to someone less fortunate. But zip up hoodies and sweaters are some of my favorite things, and the guys in my life who knew me best often bought them for me as birthday or Christmas gifts because they knew how much I liked them. So they are all in my size, just like the jewelry or whatever little other trinkets I have kept. The other scenario would probably be a little odd; you're right about that.

• A gift is a gift. I am keeping a gift or throwing it out. If I had something of his that was meant to be his I would leave it on his doorstep or in his mailbox.

• I guess it depends what it is... like if he gave me a birthday card I'd probably throw it out, if it was a box of chocolates I'd eat it, if it's he's grandmas necklace I'd return it.

• If you like it then why return it? It was a gift after all.

• Do I return gifts or items he gave me when we break up? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Err... No I dont

• Keeping it just shows your attachment. Throwing them or giving them away helps you move on

• Moving on means letting go.

• i honestly return , but my ex didn't :(

• That makes the two of us.

I honestly don't give a shit about the item not will I accept it. But it makes me hope that there is a future if she hasn't returned it.

• I threw mine away! I was so mad, lol.

• I usually hide them away until I'm 100% over them. Unless it was an awful gift. Then I give it away.

• Never gotten a gift then broke up

• Yes I do

• Keeping items that your partner gives you can be a sign of emotional attachment. But, sometimes you just want to keep the nice stuff they give you. Because, hey. It's free.

• I return them if I'm asked to, usually by mail (popular at their request), but I don't expect them to return what I've given them and I try to mail the stuff as soon as I can

• I don't think gifts should ever be returned, or asked back for. Once something is given as a gift, it belongs to the person who it was given to.

What Guys Said 1

• I usually donate them to the trashcan