Guys, Ex fling texting you "happy birthday " after breaking things off?

I had been dating this guy for about 4 months and things were pretty serious. We spent a lot of time together ( like almost everyday) . Well about two weeks before splitting he told me that everything got to be too much and he needed space. Not only that , but he told me he wanted the option to see other people.. Now all this came as a surprise to me being that he was telling me the whole time he wanted a relationship and that I was the perfect person for him ( met his mother& people that mean the most to him ). All that being said I didn't take this news well. We had a blow up and he broke things off. Now my question to the "guys" is does spending me happy birthday text after breaking things off a month prior mean he wants to rekindle things? Or am I just overthinking? ( mind you haven't spoke at all since the break off ) We ended things on a cordial note.. Help?

2