My boyfriend broke up with me for personal reasons but wants to keep being best friends till the time is right. What do I do?

Anonymous
The other day, my boyfriend broke up with me. We'd been in a really good place so I was really confused. He told me it was just that he is super stressed and has a lot of personal issues going on right now. He's struggled with anxiety and depression before. He told me he loves me and wants to be with me, but can't be with me right now. He told me he needed some time The day after we broke up, we were ignoring each other at school. At lunch, he texted me saying he didn't want to ignore each other. We continued texting and he asked me to talk after school. I went over to his house. I told him I was confused and hurt. He usually doesn't like talking about his feelings and it's hard for him to express his emotions. He told me I needed to trust him and that this is what's best for us right now. He then went on to explain that his dad has cancer (he lives in a different state) and he is just feeling super pressured right now. He said he just doesn't want to lose me and would rather have me as a best friend than nothing at all. We later went to a football game and he was kissing me on the cheek and telling me he loves me and coming over to see me for no reason. After the game, we went back to his house and had sex. During, he kept repeating that he lovEs me.
3
1