Ex-boyfriend want us to remain as friends. Is this healthy?

Boyfriend broke up with me because he cannot deal with being in long distance relationship. He said he does not want to hurt me & he is unhappy when we are not together & he was becoming impatient with me not being able to move to his state (I applied to leave my job but it is taking some time). However he wants us to maintain a friendship, because we were best friends. I love him a lot, I am an emotional wreck and my heart is shattered, I am having a tough time dealing with this. I did not want the relationship to end, but I had to respect his decision to break it off cause his happiness is important to me.
Should I remain friends with him?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• It's up to you. I'm not one to keep exes around as friends as that wasn't their purpose. Also it makes it easier to get with someone else as they are more at ease when you don't have exes lurking around to make them feel secure. However I never went out with a friend then turned them into something more.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's entirely up to you. If you're alright with being friends with him, then by all means.
    But if it hurts you and makes it hard for you to move on, then maybe not :(
    His reasons for wanting to break it off seem very reasonable, but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier. I'm sorry you're hurting :(