Should I be friends with my ex?

i went out with my boyfriend for 3 years and he broke up with me a month ago. he said at first it was to do with uni and that he still loved me and that he still wants to be friends, he said if we were twenty five he would have married me by now. then he later said it was to do with uni but if he's honest now he's not in love with me any more. we were each others first boyfriend and girlfriend, I love him so much. I work with him I find it hard, he asked me the other day why I didn't speak to him, but obviously its hard as I've had my heart broken. he says if he meets someone he won't hold back. do I cut all contact and ignore him? has he missed out because were 21?

please help I don't know what to do?

75

Most Helpful Guy

• You should just stop contacting him and delete all the pictures you two took together.

I am involved in a breakup about 2 weeks ago. She started talking to me after 1 week of breakup. And since we had history we were still flirting, but she didn't mean anything of it. So my advice is to just cut all ties like what the others said. It only makes it harder if you keep contacting your ex because you will never get over him like that.

I believe that ex's can be friends, but not immediately. Give it time (a lot of it)...

What Guys Said 4

• should cut all ties at least for a solid year since you dated for 3 years. Or else any time he wants you back you're going to go right back to him.

• You could try but mind yourself its very likely not to work and you probably going to end up with a broken heart. Be really careful of what you are getting into. Must of the times it doesn't work, but giving a try doesn't hurt.

• Id say don't cut all ties if you think you wanttobe with him! if he finds someone else then forget about him! It is f***ed up but if you love each other you have to get over your egos

• no

What Girls Said 7

• I think you should ignore him for now until you heal. Plus don't give him what HE wants right away ! ( to continue being friends!) he broke your heart! And lied to you about the reasons at first. And also he can stand there and flat out say that if he finds someone else he won't hold back ? That's not love. I think it's time for you to do some damage here. DON'T be his friend YET . Until you feel ready , healed, at least. He'll probably miss you wen you ignore him like that , which will make him feel bad(y) ( trust me works like a charm) . Eventually I am friends with my exes, buttt ... I have alottt more confidence and that gets them all the time . Stupid guy. Find yourself a sexyyy Mann :):):) and the 25 issue? That's bullsh*t... Shouldve married an old hag then if that's the case :)

• ok you need to put on a happy face and act like you are fine. the man is obviously moving on. you need to look amazing at work everyday and you need to let him see you with another man. its like they say the best revenge is to let them see you happy. but I would cut all contact. its unfair to keep something going when you both don't feel the same way.

• Avoid him as much as possible but still keep the lines of communication open. If you suddenly just stop seeing him at all then the nxt time you see him will crush you. You need to reach a point where you can see him but not want him! You will get there eventually..doesnt seem like it now but trust me..you will

• cutting ties is really the best way...you'll just end up hurting yourself, especially when you see him dating someone else.

• Well 3 years is a long time so obviously you too get along fine! I think you too should be friends I always become friends with my ex's so no problems start! plus who knows maybe you'll become really good friends or even get back together!

• "uni"? what's that?

• Give yourself plenty of time to get over it before you try to be friends otherwise the pain... ouch. It's easier if you don't look at his FB or Myspace and stuff because then your mind will just blow everything up that you see (if you're like me and every other girl I know).

My boyfriend and I broke up. we were together for like 3 years but since we had lots of time to move on, now we are still best friends and we support each other with everything.

I think it'll be alright... just be patient.