Why is my ex being so hot and cold?

So my ex broke up with me about 2 months ago. It was a LDR and we were together for about 5 months. He's had a lot of issues in the past with his family life and has been cheated on a few times. His ex was very controlling and didn't treat him well for 3 years. He broke up with me saying that he couldn't cope with the distance and it was making him suicidal. He then called me 2 days after the break up and asked for a break instead of a break up. I said i would need to consider and he agreed. He was then very hot and cold for a few weeks until i just stopped replying. I took 2 weeks off of speaking to him and he messaged/called nearly everyday. When i then answered his call after the 2 weeks he told me "im the most important person in his life" "no one is as special to him as me" "he thinks that im the one" but still doesn't want to get back together? He wouldn't let me visit to talk because it was "too soon" and he was meant to visit this weekend but didn't come and gave no explanation. He has been very friendly and said he is sleeping with my shirts and spraying my perfume in his room for the past week. We were talking yesterday and he stopped replying mid-conversation and has ignored 2 more messages since and left them on 'read'. Does anyone have any advice? Thankyou x
Why is my ex being so hot and cold?
Add Opinion