Can you still be friends after a break up?

Why do some agree to be friends but ignore you?
why do others dare straight away and rub it in your face?
how come others can be friends and supportive of you?
in your opinion and experiance can you remain friends for god and why do others say they are friends but ignore you?

61

Most Helpful Guy

• That's super tough to do I don't think so

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on who it is, and who they are as people. Most of the times you really can't be friends, if your breakup ended abusive, and with a heated argument of cursing and belittling.

Whenever an ex agrees to friendship but ignore you, it means that they are trying to move on passed the feelings. They can still have emotions and feelings for you. So the best logical way is to just simply ignore you as much as possible. Little to no interaction.

Others who rub it in your face is prove that they do NOT love you, and used you the whole time. That kind of person needs to be removed from your life permanently. They are not worth having feelings for ever again.

Believe it or not. There are people who can remain completely civil and friendly. These are the ones who DO LOVE you. Who will always look out for you. Even if your not romantically comparable, it still doesn't mean that they aren't good people. Let alone yourself.

From my parents and friends experienced who dated at least, its risky to be friends with anybody who may not be trustworthy. They may speak with you right away. But you have to remember that it takes a long time to heal and try not lash out over the past. Some people sadly cannot separate the past from the present, and it eventually effects their future.

• Thanks for your reply, I just finished with someone i finished it and it was amiable, we agreed to stay friends as we have a close knit of mutual friends, yet he's ignored me, the only thing is that it's making things awkward for mutual friends, I told him I don't want things to be awkward and I wish him all the best, again ignoring me, it's not like I'm texting him everyday, he's finding out when I'm going out then not going out, I don't my heads a mess as I don't want my friends to think I'm a bitch, I don't think they do but it sure as hell is awkward.

• @Asker

It will take time. Give him that space. It can take weeks and even months. It took my dad years until Facebook was available when he reconnected with his ex while married to my mom. They have always been friends even when my mother didn't think so at the time when she was living. True friends stick by you. Right now as I said. It can take a very long time, sometimes years. As long as you have that communication open for him, he'll know that you still care about him even if you can't date again. But if he cuts ties, then so be it. You offered. But sometimes its for the best despite it hurting.