My boyfriend and I both are mentally ill, should we stay together?

We recently came to college, and it has had an impact on us both. Long story short, he's suffering from depression and anxiety and I'm the same but instead of pushing him away like he does to me, I become more clingy and self harm..
Recently he's begun seeing a counselor and I'm about to. Things have been really tense with us lately, feelings getting hurt because he likes to go out drinking and doesn't respond for hours. I'm hoping things get better, because we want to stop hurting each other. We've been best friends for 10 years and together for about 2.

Would it be too detrimental to us if we stuck together through this?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Since you've already been together for a while, continuing to be together might actually be good for both of you, *IF* you give each other support and encouragement.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depression can lead to all sorts of unhealthy behavior. I tend to be prone to depression and then it impacts ALL my friendships and relationship negatively because I think narrow and only about myself. The good thing is you two are committed to getting help and I see absolutely no reason why you two can't get through this if you've been in each other's lives that long <3