He says he hates that he loves me. What is that suppose to mean?

So my boyfriend and I go through our ups and down a lot. We argue a lot and go days without speaking. He told me over text that he hates that he loves me and that he wish he didn't. Whenever we break up, he always come running to me (he has done fuck upon shit to me). I asked him why do you keep fighting for a person who is 'bad'? And he tells me he doesn't know why and why he feels this way. How can you not know why you feel a certain why? And why does he tells me he hates that he loves me?

11