Guys, why do men act like the break up doesn't affect them much compared to girls?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because showing emotion is socially unacceptable for boys and men. Both sexes reinforce the behavior. There may also be an element of pride in denying her the satisfaction that she ever meant something to him, especially if he is the one who gets dumped.

It doesn't mean he doesn't have emotions, or that it's not tearing him up inside. It might come out by confiding in a trusted friend. Or he may suppress it with drinking or working out or work or video games or whatever. I think it takes guys longer to deal with break ups because of this learned emotional constipation.

1|2
    0|0
    • Thank you for MHO. Best wishes.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• Men are much more private with their emotions - public displays are also displays of weakness since they can't maintain the appearance.

Men are also fixers, and this is something we can't fix. We will sit at home contemplating trying to figure out how to best put things back together, knowing we can't get it like it was before.

0|1
    0|0
  • Guys are somewhat taught to ignore or deny emotions because it is judged by their peers as a sign of weakness. This comes right from the school yard upwards. If a guy shows signs of emotion among his school friends he is likely to be ridiculed.

But here is the kicker! Because we are taught to restrict emotions we are less equipped to handle them and we often take longer to process them. Girls in general will process emotions quicker and will move on quicker. Guys are far more likely to brood for ages and to lose their composure. This is why guys are more prone to things like obsessive behaviours when it comes to women, such as stalking. The vast majority of stalkers are male, due to a lack of emotional processing and control.

1|1
    0|0
  • Heh. It Does hurt. We don't enjoy the Crying. Also, blame other women for it. You expect us to be strong and stoic? You Got it!! Honestly, women wanted us t seem that way. Further, another possibility, is that you Are talking about a guy who didn't care at all. There are women like that too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where I can be seen by others that potentially might use my sadness against me...
    media.giphy.com/media/YfkVuuLnHFo5y/giphy.gif

At home where I can let it all out in the privacy of 4 walls that have always been there for me and won't use my sadness against me...
    67.media.tumblr.com/.../...j0ajgQRu1ty4hfn_540.gif
    https://replygif.net/i/759.gif

Trust me not all guys can just toss aside someone they cared about like it's nothing. Deep within the true feelings are there. But acting like you're okay, is a simple yet effective approach. Fake it until you make it mate.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because men have always been stereotyped as being the stronger species so we are just expected to get on with life as opposed to dwelling on it.

There's the phrase "take your man the fuck up pills and get on with it."

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it usually doesn't unless we want to be pussies about it. Women tend to be more emotional about everything (especially relationships and breakups). We simply either take a break or go get a replacement (assuming we haven't had a replacement lined up all along).

0|0
    0|0
  • a few reasons
    -they don't want to appear that it effects them
    -they don't think it's manly to allow themselves to feel emotional
    -they truly were affected

0|0
    0|0
  • Not every guys are like that, I never been in a relationship but I find my self emotional a lot inside, I'm know to lack feelings but I'm actually extra emotional due to my empty life anxiety etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • We don't want to seem weak or vulnerable. That's how I am personally but behind close doors the emotions hit us like a brick.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it doesn't affect us like you ladies. Well we have a great hormone which called Testosterone. It makes peoples more relax more ok ok I can't define that you should check it 😆

0|0
    1|1
  • Because either they were not that emotially attached, if they act like they care so much people will begin to question either their manliness or their sexuality and you will maybe see him as a needy guy so he needs to protect himself from that

0|0
    0|0
  • It does hurt, but most guys have learn't that mopping around is the wrong way to go about it. And if your ex gets the slightest hint you are heart broken, she'll rub it in.

0|0
    0|0
  • BeBecause it really doesn't affect me that much. I'm able to move and i have hobbies so it keeps my occupied and i know I'll run into another special girl out there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we're taught to "man up", be tough and move on because society expects us to or else we look weak and needy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was like this couple years ago. My ex girlfriend dumped me, and eventhough I plead to her to come back, no luck at all. It tore me million pieces since we had been great together. So I play it cool and tried to ignore her COMPLETELY, but deep down inside I was shattered. It took me years to heal up.

It's not a generic answer for all. But I can say some guys are ruined inside, especially when they got dumped. So in public and especially in front of her ex girlfriend, they try to be cool. It's the only pride they have?

It's a 50-50 chance though.. If they got in a serious relationship after you guys split-up (especially after a while, like years), then it may well be they have finally moved-on. I can say this as I'm in this position :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Male culture of "not showing enough because that is weak as fuck"

0|1
    0|0
  • Because in most cases break up means "freedom!!!" For men,
    Few weeks later we finally realize what is missing :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Because men are brought up not to show emotion. Either that or very little.

0|0
    0|0
  • Breakups do effect me a lot... however part of my healing process is moving on quickly.

It may sound weird but I dont like feeling sadness and regret... so I just choose not to by working through it as fast as possible. It also helps when you can see a relationship begining to end so you try and get all the greiving out of the way ahead of time.

What all that tanslates too is typically the girl being sad and me hitting the ground running. Giving the appearanve that she took it much harder then me.

0|0
    0|0
  • why cry while you can always hate

0|1
    1|0
  • We're taught to be tough.

1|3
    0|0
  • That's where the ego of we men comes in

0|0
    0|0
  • We show weakness we get eating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because men are supposed to be strong.

0|0
    0|0
  • We are raised not to show such emotions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where in the uk are strawberry

0|0
    0|0
  • Because many people make fun of and belittle guys for showing emotions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because sometimes it doesn't. We are more logical and less emotional which can help a great deal.

0|1
    0|0
  • Its no act, it doesn't hurt. Id rather be at the gId, saving money and riding my motorcyle. It hurts to not break up

0|1
    0|1

Recommended myTakes