Why did my ex ask me this?

So my ex broke up with me almost 2 weeks ago, I've been having a hard time with the breakup and I haven't called him but today I did and as embarrassing as it is, I asked him if we could hang out and he said after class (because were in the same class) then he said no because if we hung out he would lead me on, so he said no. Then I asked if he could give us another chance and he told me he didn't want anything, that I had to stop and to leave him alone. I feel embarrassed even typing it, I apologized and told him that I would leave him alone... and I did.
Im confused though because he told me he didn't want to hang out which I respected his decision and later realized my emotions got the best of me and I should've never asked... but I'm confused because during class he asked me if we were going to hang out after class. I told him no, to which he later asked again 30 minutes later. Again I said no, and then he said he said we can hang out after class if you want and just talk and I said no I'm okay. I don't want to.
If he said no at first and I respected his decision why would he later ask me not only once but three times?

12