Just broke up with my boyfriend. Any kind suggestions?

It was overall an unhealthy relationship, so I know that I did the right thing to end things. We of course had many good times together, and sometimes those times start getting to me and I miss them. Any suggestions on how to move forward and combat loneliness?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When we break up with someone, particularly when we knew for a fact that a lot of it was shitty, we tend to romanticise the experience in our memories. We remember the good more than the bad. It doesn't hurt to remember the bad sometimes and to remember why it didn't work out. Consider that to be a rationality check.

My general advice is that there is a fixed period of time where you can sit around and mope and feel sad, listen to sad songs and generally grieve. It has to be fixed though. One or two weeks is about as much as I would recommend. After that time you need to start dragging yourself back to life, even if you don't feel like it. It's important to be active and to stop wallowing. You need to fill those gaps in your day that the person has left behind, because every gap is a reminder. When you get to the stage that your day is no longer punctuated by a space where it feels like he should be then he won't come into your mind so much. Try to see friends, try to have fun. Once your grieving break is over don't keep loads of memories of him around, throw them away or hide them away. When you have thoughts of him then physically force yourself to think about something else. Emotional voices should be countered rather than allowed to run riot.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• spend time with your friends. go see a movie. read a book. go to a party or the club. literally anything. it's normal to miss the relationship because you were used to being with him. and if you find yourself pulling back just keep reminding yourself of the reasons you broke with him.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• I was in a unhealthy relationship too. I felt the exact same way two weeks ago. Time heals your wounds

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you

• You're welcome. I also wrote down whatever I wanted to say to them and how I felt. That also kept me from going back. If it was unhealthy you made the right decision.

• Yes! I just did that last night. It did help. Thanks again

• Just imagine that there's someone out there who makes you even happier, and you just haven't found them yet. Find hobbies to fill your time, get out there and meet people. Continue your life, you're your own person!

1|0
    0|0
  • it happened to me a while ago , just keep the good memories of him and try to forget the bad ones , establish a minimum contact with him , and surround yourself with good company.
    staying positive is the key
    good luck

1|1
    0|0
  • The only way to get over this. Start talking to other guys. You have to put yourself out here to get over it. Remember why he does not deserve you.

1|1
    0|0
  • Find happiness and fulfillment in yourself while you look for your new mate. It makes it easy to be single for long periods of time if need be. 😋

1|0
    0|0
  • be with friends, go out with them, try to get a routine of hobbies

1|0
    0|0
  • How would your ideal partner be like if anything was possible?

1|0
    0|0
  • Keep busy.

1|1
    0|0
  • move on

1|0
    0|0
  • Not to be a perv or an ass but... ah, never mind. just read some romance manga and watch some anime. I suggest Toradora!.

1|0
    0|0
  • talk to me.
    i can keep you busy and smiling for long time

1|0
    0|0
  • fuck the first guy that will give you any attention. not much different than what you did with your boyfriend with the only difference you had to rationalise the later as some sort of romantic idealistic relationship... .

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Remember why you broke up with him. Remember how many times he made you cry. Remember all of the times he could have done more. Remember all of the times he straight pissed you off.

I know it sounds cruel but literally, some women NEED to do that to keep from going back to a shitty ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • mediate get to know yourself. being in a relationship you sometimes become so caught up in it. you forget what you really like to do and what's your favorite food etc. hangout with yourself play old music see how it makes you feel. not you and your X's songs. just music you liked.

1|0
    0|0
  • Keep yourself occupied!!! And please don't try to depend on someone else for happiness

1|0
    0|0
  • try and keep yourself busy

1|0
    0|0
  • dont think about him

1|0
    0|0
  • find ur self some things to keep busy

1|0
    0|0
  • You will have a lot MORE good times with the one you meant to be with:)

1|0
    0|0
  • Well generally let it out. Feel sad etc. Grieve the relationship. Then after a few days start going out. Find a hobby and keep your friends around you

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes