If you are on the receiving end of a breakup, do you still want to be friends with the person?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless the breakup is entirely mutual because both parties have just been going through the motions then no. If it's two people who can literally say look, we're not really feeling it anymore so let's go our separate ways, and nobody is feeling angry or hurt or regretful, then it can work. In the vast majority of breakups that's not the case.

The impulse to suggest being friends is generally said out of guilt on the part of one and out of hope on the part of the other. It's not realistic in most cases. You can't get over your pain if the thorn is still in your side. You have to extract it in order to heal. Maybe then in the future you can look back and laugh together.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was on the receiving end of a break up, I had no interest in being friends. I was hurt and upset at the time. But once I worked through all of that, I was able and wanted to be friends with my ex again.

1|0
    0|0
    • How long did it take you to work through it to get to where u could be friends?

• Show All
    • It did take a while, I'm gonna say about a year? I was really hurt by him though and it just took me a while to work through it all.

• Ok thank you for your honesty

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• No. Why would any self respecting guy with decency want to? To be your emotional dumping ground and watch you date and complain about the next guys? I sure would not want my mental health to be ripped up by what has happened with the break up. Definitely not gonna stick around for the show. Sounds harsh but that's what it would turn into. Don't be a beta guys!

0|0
    0|0
  • No, i would maybe just be acquaintance when i would see her.
    That is all for me cause once a ex is always a ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • Uhm nah.
    Best bet is to move on. If you can still be friends afterwards then you either still love them or they never loved you.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not at first, no

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the situation, I guess

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah. I don't see the point.

1|0
    0|0
  • nope

0|0
    0|0
  • I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• It depends on the reason we are breaking up, if it's because he's moving to another state and that's why.. sure
    If it's because he can't stand my nagging or doesn't like my personality anymore then. No

1|0
    0|0
  • No!!! Definitely not right away. It's a myth that you could anyway

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell no
    Byeeee

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes