If you are on the receiving end of a breakup, do you still want to be friends with the person?

49

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless the breakup is entirely mutual because both parties have just been going through the motions then no. If it's two people who can literally say look, we're not really feeling it anymore so let's go our separate ways, and nobody is feeling angry or hurt or regretful, then it can work. In the vast majority of breakups that's not the case.

The impulse to suggest being friends is generally said out of guilt on the part of one and out of hope on the part of the other. It's not realistic in most cases. You can't get over your pain if the thorn is still in your side. You have to extract it in order to heal. Maybe then in the future you can look back and laugh together.

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was on the receiving end of a break up, I had no interest in being friends. I was hurt and upset at the time. But once I worked through all of that, I was able and wanted to be friends with my ex again.

• How long did it take you to work through it to get to where u could be friends?

• It did take a while, I'm gonna say about a year? I was really hurt by him though and it just took me a while to work through it all.

• Ok thank you for your honesty