How do you know when you are truly in love with someone?

I've been having a lot of problems determining if I am meant to be with this guy. We would argue all the time, usually because I would start it, so he broke up with me last week. I can definitely see us getting back together, but I really don't want to do this if we aren't "meant" for each other.

My ex is a really sweet guy, he has the same interests as me, he works full time and goes to class part time, he gets me things I want and takes me places I want to go, we have the same friends and love each other's families. I tried to pinpoint the one thing that I didn't like, and all I can think of is that he isn't exactly a go-getter, he is more complacent and slow-paced than I am. He doesn't really want to go the extra mile to do things sometimes. I felt during the first year like he didn't even want to go out of his way for me, and that would make me mad. I was his first long term girlfriend, so he eventually caught on to what I needed. He would do things for me every weekend as the next 2 years continued, but for some reason I was still just always mad at him and annoyed. He got tired of it and broke it off.

Because of our history, I am really inclined to think we are going to want to try again, but before we do, I want to know what my problem is with him. I cannot pinpoint it and I can't get over this feeling that, maybe I should be more excited to get back with him? Maybe I shouldn't be okay right now and I should be longing for the moment I get to see him again? I took the breakup hard the first 3 days, but since then, I've been focusing on myself and today I didn't even think about him at all until now, and that was what worried me. I've had other boyfriends but nothing as serious as he and I were. I really just want to know if you can truly "feel" it when you are with the right person. I don't like having doubts about love and I don't want to put him nor myself through another breakup in the future.

Any advice or personal experiences with "true love"?

02