What to do when there is an abuser in the family?

So what if you have a sibling and you know 100% that this person is emotionally abusive to their partner in marriage. What would you do about it?

Please answer following questions it will help so much:
1) Would you still love your sibling unconditionally?
2) Would you tell their partner they need to file for a divorce?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Whether brother or sister, I would love the sibling unconditionally., but this does not mean that abuse is fine.

Have you tried discussing with your sibling that the acts are illegal and could result in arrest the destruction of reputation (with permanent stigma, even if a "guilty" verdict is escaped via good lawyer), possibly permanent unemployment, etc? Is counseling being considered as an option? Maybe the counselor can give you a better answer.

• i just don't understand why love them unconditionally. He's not my brother but my father, and my Aunt was explaining to me how she still loves him. And i think that she should try to get him help , but she doesn't and it just really bothers me. I just don't know if i can be around him or his family over Christmas.

• yes, her friends had to tell her she is being abused because she couldn't figure out why he was acting like that. But that's not the point. The point is i don't know how someone can still love their sibling

• Okay, to be sure I'm understanding this right, your aunt still loves her brother (your father) who is abusive to his wife/your mother?

if that is the case, maybe he treats his sister better than he treats his wife. Or maybe, he treated his sister better in the past, but got worse over time and his sister still loves him from memories of him treating her well in the past. If your aunt is religious, it may be the Biblical teaching of unconditional love. That's what I have so far.