What to do when there is an abuser in the family?

So what if you have a sibling and you know 100% that this person is emotionally abusive to their partner in marriage. What would you do about it?

Please answer following questions it will help so much:
1) Would you still love your sibling unconditionally?
2) Would you tell their partner they need to file for a divorce?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Whether brother or sister, I would love the sibling unconditionally., but this does not mean that abuse is fine.

Have you tried discussing with your sibling that the acts are illegal and could result in arrest the destruction of reputation (with permanent stigma, even if a "guilty" verdict is escaped via good lawyer), possibly permanent unemployment, etc? Is counseling being considered as an option? Maybe the counselor can give you a better answer.

0|0
    0|0
    • i just don't understand why love them unconditionally. He's not my brother but my father, and my Aunt was explaining to me how she still loves him. And i think that she should try to get him help , but she doesn't and it just really bothers me. I just don't know if i can be around him or his family over Christmas.

• Show All
    • yes, her friends had to tell her she is being abused because she couldn't figure out why he was acting like that. But that's not the point. The point is i don't know how someone can still love their sibling

• Okay, to be sure I'm understanding this right, your aunt still loves her brother (your father) who is abusive to his wife/your mother?

if that is the case, maybe he treats his sister better than he treats his wife. Or maybe, he treated his sister better in the past, but got worse over time and his sister still loves him from memories of him treating her well in the past. If your aunt is religious, it may be the Biblical teaching of unconditional love. That's what I have so far.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• I wouldn't ruin any of my siblings marriages. I'd talk to them if I suspect any harm done by them. Its not my marriage, its theirs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get your sib to a psychologist and fix him or her up. No human beings deserve to be treated abusively for no reason. That is good for him or her.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• yes I would still love them unconditionally. and I would speak up and try to get them help to get out of that abusive relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that no matter if this person is your sibling or not, you need to do what is right. No one should have to take abuse, and you should help your sibling's partner as well as your sibling. You could suggest them split up until your sibling gets help, or you could suggest they get a divorce, either way there is only so much you can do to help. As for loving your sibling unconditionally, that is something you have to decide. People make mistakes, but some things go too far. You have to decide if this crosses the line or not.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes