Guys, You're a guy in a relationship with a woman you love more than anything. You give up because you think she deserves more. Why?

I would like to try and understand some things in order to continue forward in action.
When depression hit my ex he told me that he wasn't worth it and literally vanished from my life no matter what I tried or did.
He talked to his friends saying I deserved better. This makes me feel physically sick, believing that everyone is equal. It is even worse knowing that he may think this.
What I want to do is to understand what could have been going through his head, and what might be now months later.
Regret? Is there anyway to reach him?

2