Boyfriend broke up with me out of the blue?

After 2 years of non stop happiness, no arguments and love my boyfriend left me on New Year's Eve out of the blue. We faced a loss of a child in the first year of our relationship and had time apart as we both couldn't handle what had happened. When we got back together we had never been happier. When he broke up with me we had a 2 hour chat, the bottom line was "I don't know what I want but I just don't think I want a relationship right now and I haven't been happy for a while" but I don't understand he's never spoken to me about issues and he was very happy. 2 weeks ago was my birthday and he bought me a very beautiful necklace which was £140 and I can't understand why this has suddenly happened! His friends have told me to give him space and stay away from him, to forget him and move on. I want him to be happy and I want him back. I want to know how he is feeling? How do guys feel after they've broken up with their girlfriend? And does he still love me? He insisted that we stay friends and that he is here for me and that he hasn't gone out of my life. I am so heartbroken and confused. I just want him back and the pain to go away.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• When a guy leaves a perfectly pleasant relationship, it means he's decided that he doesn't want to spend his life with you. He may have decided this a while ago, but couldn't bring himself to breakup. Then the holidays came along, and he was thinking "If I don't do something, I'll be in the same place next year." This isn't your fault, and he may end up regretting his decision, but he's not coming back anytime soon.

Most Helpful Girl

• He could still be in grief from the loss of a child but he didn't want you to see his vulnerability or see him getting emotional. Hopefully this isn't the case but it seems as though he probably thinks he could never have kids with you or start a life after that incident, therefore, finding no future with you as a partner.
    Perhaps he just wants space for awhile to grieve but he still cares about you to the moon and back. He could just be depressed that he couldn't have a child. :/