A reason or an excuse?

If I am "dating" a guy who says he can't commit to a relationship because he is moving abroad for two years, is it a reason or an excuse?! If he really wanted to be with me, would he? Bear in mind, I am in England, and in 3 months, he may move to NYC. I have already put a couple of questions on this site regarding the same thing. But I am trying to simplify it to get some answers! He also was in a 4 year relationship that ended not long before he met me. A lot of things he says or does makes it seem like he's in to me, but other times, he makes no sense.
+1 y
I have been giving him space the past few months, and been seeing him occasionally, but not as much. Just been doing my own thing. I saw him a few days ago as I went to his gig. He invited me back to his while we were talking outside the venue.
+1 y
We were outside with his brother and his brothers girlfriend, waiting for a cab, and he was saying to his bro how sweet I was, as I was the only person he invited who came. He then pulled me close and told me he had missed me (really tender voice)
+1 y
really brightened up his life. At his place, we were almost going to have sex, but he said he doesn't want any surprises because he is leaving in 3 weeks. Even though we use extra safe condoms! He told me, "let's just hug, come here".
+1 y
He then said "you're so beautiful" (again, in a really tender voice, like he was choking on air!) "You're such a beautiful person, inside and out. Don't ever doubt that, because I think sometimes you do". I had had a few drinks, and I started crying
+1 y
a little. My head was in his chest, but I think he knew I was crying. I told him not to tell me I was beautiful (mainly because of the fact he is leaving) and he was like "why though? You are". I told him I was scared I was going to lose him. He said...
+1 y
"You won't lose me. I am always going to be here for you. I hope you know that., you know that, don;t you?" Then I think I may have cried more, and he started kissing my head saying "I got you baby, I got you baby". And he said that a few times.
+1 y
I am so confused now. I'm not thinking he's changed his mind about wanting a r/ship. But I think he either is starting to realize what he is about to lose, or he is trying to give me false hope, so I stay single? Or he just really cares? I don't know.
+1 y
He also said "You can stay with me in NYC any time, any time".

Any words of advice for this very complicated situation. A friend of mine also told me I should tell him I am in love with him before he leaves. But this friend likes me so I am not sure
+1 y
he is trying to sabotage my chances...but he seems like the in touch with his feelings type. Sadly, I think my guy is trying to protect himself from emotion. I do want to come clean and tell him him exactly how I feel. And also, when we are about to have
+1 y
sex, which is very rare, he asks me if I have slept with anyone else. If he thought I liked him enough, he would surely know I wouldn't sleep with anyone else. Is he testing me/playing games/in denial about his feelings? I need advice! I am stuck! :(
+1 y
He leaves for NYC in 3 weeks. I'm stuck in gloomy old London town :(
A reason or an excuse?
3
6