Does he want to end things or is he just mad at me and need space?

My husband and I have had a rocky past but we had an amazing year. We had a lot to look forward to and were on great terms.

Well, last Sunday we got into a small argument. My feelings were hurt, so I avoided him that night. He got wasted and ended up saying some really hurtful things to me, which resulted in him sleeping on the couch for a few days and not saying a word to me during that time. I texted him once saying I'm not sure what to do and I just want both of us to be happy, to which he replied "I want to be happy." I'm not sure what that even means.

On our 5 year anniversary, he never came home. Frustrated and upset, I contacted him. He said he didn't want to talk to me until he wasn't mad and we could talk calmly. I argued, nut later agreed though I think I may have made it worse because when I went out he had taken half his clothes and our gaming system. Confused and extremely hurt, I texted him again asking if he was leaving me. he said, "I want a separation, not a divorce," but when I asked if he could explain, he replied with yes but then said "idk you're my wife." He said our priorities are different, but he wouldn't work with me to figure out and work through our differences. He then said he came home to talk to me but I wasn't there and he seemed really upset about that. That was 2 days ago and I haven't talked to him since.

I thought we were fine, we were financially stable, we spent mornings together and I tried my best to do the things he asked around the house. I married young (I'm 20), and we both have our problems. We're both extremely sensitive people who care deeply for the other, but he's also honest. If he wanted a divorce he'd flat out tell me, but he hasn't. But he also isn't working with me to identify what needs to be fixed and problem solve.

It'll be a week tomorrow since I talked to him in person... should I just give him space and wait for him to contact me? Is he even hurting like I am? I just don't know what to do.

11