At what age do you think my son should stop sleeping in the same bed as me?

My son stays at my place every weekend for 3 days. He has his own bedroom here, but wants to sleep in my room with me. He's done that since he was out of his cot, and I love the fact that he still wants to cuddle up with his Dad.

I know a lot of single Mums sleep with their kids in their beds, but was wondering what your opinions are on single Dads doing the same?

Most Helpful Girl

• id think of it like a sleep over-which it essentially is. i wouldn't worry about it. hell do it or not do t as he sees fit. no ones getting hurt and its good to spend quality time together :)

• also kids sleeping alone by et age is arbitrary ad in my opinion stems from paranoia. many cultures kids sleep pled on top of each other and or adults. its not a big deal. people used to sleep together just to keep warm. now that we have heat its suddenly bad for their psyche... when i was a kid i used to visit my mom in her studio apartment while my parents were separated. i slept with her all the time without even thinking of it. of course she was distant and cold and it was simply a matter of practicality BUT point being i did it for a long time. no weird attachment issues. we are actually distant though not bc of the bed. just she is distort and its the only way we have ever interacted. my dad too. my parents are nuts. your kid sounds lucky. just the fact you care enough to inquire.

best of luck :)

What Girls Said 2

• I think there's no harm in it tbh. He's only with you for the weekend so every second counts. He'll have memories of this when he grows up and it may make him feel closer to you.

• Usually kids stop doing this on their own as much at 5-6. It's sweet your kiddo loves his quality dad time - enjoy it while you can!

• He's 6 and neither of us have an issue with it. I'm just glad that him and I are so close after all we've been through. I ask him every so often if he wants to sleep in his own room and he almost sounds like it's a punishment lol

• Awww. So sweet. 😊

What Guys Said 1

• I'd probably suggest trying to ween him off the habit around 5-6 years old, the issue is not with him doing it as it's innocent and obviously children like to be close to their parents but you know how children can often talk without realizing the context and with the intrusiveness of school in the home life of children you don't want a misunderstanding. It's sad that we live in a world like that, but men don't get the same fair shake when it comes to things like this. Good on you for being an active father by the way. Need more of them these days.