Breakup recovery time?

I recently heard that it takes a woman an average of 3 months to get past a breakup, while it takes a man an average of 9 months. This surprised me. It would appear that a lot of men take about a weekend to bounce back. Do you agree/disagree with these averages? Who do you think takes breakups harder?

Most Helpful Guy

• The problems with considering a statement like this are:

1. How do you decide when a person has recovered? When they start dating? When they can smile and laugh?

2. Recovery time depends on the length and depth of the relationship, of course.

3. Some people sit around and wallow in their misery, then they get better, then they start dating again. Others immediately go out and find another partner and use that experience to help them recover from the break up. (I do not advocate that strategy; I am merely observing that it is what some people do.)

4. Of course, all guys are not alike. Some are horribly disconnected from their feelings and give not thought to needing recovery time because they don't view themselves as wounded. Other guys have more self-consciousness and take some time to decompress and recover. The same distinction applies to girls (to a lesser degree.)

Most Helpful Girl

• it changes according to the relationship that couples had

What Guys Said 11

• men try to hide their reminds n just start hook ups and stuff. but it really takes for for men to completely overcome

• Meh thats all jibber jabber. It all depends on the person.

• Some people take longer, some can get over someone in a day...

• The reason why it takes us guys longer is because we tend to get attached and fall in love quicker.

• it all department on how long the relationship was. If it was was couple months it mostly only take a week. if it was couple years it probably take 4 to 6 months to get over it.

• Takes us guys longer I believe

• I think it's true at least about the men, and I say this by experience. Now I don't know about the women, but I think it depends on the person and not on the gender.

• it takes me about a weekend

• no fixed time frame

• I've only had one breakup that I didn't end and that's the only one that hurt

• Took me 2 years. But, it's so better now than it ever could have been

What Girls Said 0