False hope with exes?

Ex & I broke up due to distance 2 months ago, lived in separate countries, in college, so distance wasn't going to end soon. We weren't initially going to try to be friends but then we got in contact. In the end we decided not to try a friendship b/c he has a girlfriend now.

Thinking about things made me realize I don't know if I want him as a friend, not b/c we are not together b/c I feel in the future he won't fit in my life anymore. When I picture my life he doesn't fit in there even as friend. I don't know what the future holds but I have no idea if I want him in my life & I told him. I may never talk to him again b/c I don't know if I'll want a friendship or want to include him in my life. I know he wants me in his & he told me he hopes we can be friends.

We discussed this on Skype & I told him I think I should delete him but he convinced me to just block him, in hopes I'll decide to reach out in the future & that I can unblock him when I am ready. But I have this burning desire to cut him out, I know I shouldn't burn bridges but I feel like I won't want him apart of my life in the future or ever want to contact him even though I know I don't know what the future holds or what I want.

Also after I told him how I felt about everything he told me this, their is always a chance we could be together in the future, I am not trying to give false hopes but if it happens I don't want to miss it. That bit confused me, him saying that is making it hard for me to move on. None of us know what the future holds but I am pretty sure our relationship is over & if I ever decide to contact him I feel like even if we tried to be friends, I'll always want more.

I am trying to move on but I find it so hard. B/c the relationship didn't end for any other reason besides distance & I know I'll find someone but it is just hard when you thought as this person as your future. I know I don't know what will happen but I am finding it so hard not to think about the future or this.

11