Should giving back the ring be a requirement?

Suppose a wedding is months or a while away, and things don't work out. The entire wedding is called off, along with the relationship. Should the former soon-to-be-bride be allowed to keep the engagement ring? Or required to return it?

Please state why if you can.

• Yes
  • No

42

Most Helpful Girl

• F*** NO he gave me that ring as a sign of his love for me and I kept it to prove I do have a heart

What Girls Said 3

• I think the bride should return it as it'll only give her bad memories when she looks at it, and the guy gave it, so I think that he should get it back.

• yeah I think its a show of character to give back the ring. unless you got a cheap 150 dollar ring, which may I add, is probably why the lady called off the wedding. ;)

• I think it depends who called it off. If the groom was the reason, then I think she should get to keep it just because her heart is probably broken and she's probably sad so why should she also have to or want to give back the ring? If it was her fault or decision, she should give it back. It's the right thing to do since he went out and bought this expensive ring that now means nothing really.

If it was a mutual break off, I still think she should give it back unless he wants her to keep it.

What Guys Said 2

• If she is the one who called it off, the ring should be given back. It's a promise from the man that they will get married, if he's the one that broke the promise it's his fault he didn't keep the promise that the ring meant to symbolize so it shouldn't be expected back, but if for any reason the woman involved calls off the wedding, she should give the ring back no questions asked.

• No. A gift is a gift is a gift. You should never ask for it back, HOWEVER the other party should OFFER to return it. Just common courtesy.