Does knowing your ex has someone else or has cheated on you help you move on faster?

My ex and I had been together for years then he broke up with me 5 months ago. I didn't really get an explanation and I was left so confuse. Some people think that he might have someone else but it didn't seem that way a month into the break up. This is when I canceled my Facebook account, aim, etc. I just stopped knowing how he's doing. We haven't had any contact since then. Recently my uncle asked if my ex now has a girlfriend and I told him that I don't know. It made me feel that maybe I should. Maybe that would help me dash the silly hope I have of us getting back together, and would help me move on faster. So, does knowing that your ex has someone else or has cheated on you help you move on faster?

• Yes
  • No
  • Sometimes
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:
thank you for all your responses! I tried to log on Facebook this morning to check his page, the only way I know to find out without contacting my dumper, but it seems that he has canceled his page too. I guess in some ways it is better this way.

72

Most Helpful Guy

• I think personally the only thing that can make you "move on" or "heal" from a break up like that is time.

Yes if they cheated, you know deep down that you should not try getting back with that person because obviously if they loved you like you loved them they would not have cheated on you.

The same thing goes with if they are now dating someone. Knowing that type of information would just confirm that we might not get back together but it would not necessarly help me move on ya know.

I think either way you look at it, only time can help you get over a break up like that.

What Guys Said 1

• sometimes it does help one to move on faster that ur ex cheated on you were in an unfaithful relationship but sometimes even it hurts more to see yourself so replaceable

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, it's exactly as you thought: because it kills any thoughts that you two were going to get back together after. They're moving on, so should you. And if they cheated on you - all the better to move on, she/he was trouble and clearly was not a good choice to be with in the first place. (I have the mentality that once a cheater always a cheater - so don't get mixed up in the likes of them. It will only cause more pain).

• I say sometimes because I notice how horrible they are and why I never want them back. Yet sometimes I notice it was my fault that made them do such things or want someone else, and it pains me to know I wasn't that person they desired. I must suck so badly for them to want or even consider doing that! Making my heart ache and then I can't really get over them because of it.

• oh yeah that's always been a quick way for me not to give a f*ck when it comes to a relationship. When it comes to cheating you really loose trust in a person and they just don't feel,look, seem like the same person that you put your heart into (if you truly did). There are some people who can really bounce a relationship back after that but it's always going to be in your mind bothering you when you least expect it. The best way to get over it is to find someone new/old to spend time with, whether its a friend or a lover, and really just enjoy life!

• not really, it may entice you to have a rebound relationship but it will not absolve your emotional attachment.

• Hell no it f***ing hurts.

• For my situations, it does help a little. For 2 of my exes, they got into a new relationship before I did, so I had time to think and check up on myself and my feelings for him. Usually, the thought that there's "someone else" puts up an alarm in my thinking, as that tells me he's "unavailable, and should be unattractive to me because I don't want to cause any drama or get caught in anything between them".

• Nope. Not at all. In fact, it made me feel worse knowing that I was so replaceable. And it took a good 5 months for me to not feel so hurt by it. Now he's single again and it's a different type of emotion. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it sucks. I feel like I took a couple of steps back, even though I know we're not getting back together. =/