Should I go to the cops?

I broke up with a guy almost a year ago and in that time he has found a girlfriend and has a daughter. And I have found an amazing new boyfriend. But recently he started sending me messages on Facebook telling me to kill myself and that I am a slut and worthless. This isn't the first time he did this either. He sent me similar messages when we broke up. I have blocked him but my boyfriend and my exs best friend (who is also a good friend of mine) both think I should report him to the police but he knows some stuff about me that would be embarrassing if it got out (not illegal). Should I go to the cops?

38

Most Helpful Guy

• If it were me I would literally ignore it. Just turn my computer off and go about my day. Block him on my phone. If he ever said anything in person I'd bash his fucking skull in.

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly don't think the cops would get involved. Although he's being a mean asshole, I wouldn't think what's he's saying is actionable. He's not making direct threats. They'd probably advise you to report him on FB and block him, which you have

As long as you've cut all means of contact I'd just let it go. Unless he starts stalking you wherever you go , and consistently turning up at your home. Stalking is illegal, but not name calling is not

• Telling someone to commit suicide is illegal tho

• You've cut contact now, so it's not classed as persistent bullying, so I can't see how that's actionable. You've taken your own action by blocking him. Going to the cops is just gonna encourage him more , why take it a step further when you've admitted you are concerned about what he can say about you. You're just gonna make things worse for yourself. You've already eliminated the problem by blocking him