Do you lie when you break up?

Say you're breaking up with your partner, would you lie to them about the reason you're breaking up so to not hurt their feelings, or would you be honest?

• I would lie; I don't want to hurt them too much
  • I would lie, because I'm afraid of saying the truth
  • I have lied in the past, but won't anymore
    Vote C
  • I will never lie
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select a gender to cast your vote:

47

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have to lie to break up then chances are you lied the whole time. People wonder why you can't find a person to trust, or who will be faithful and loyal. Its because to many people base their relationships on lies and covering up what they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Then get mad when the person being lied to and played is not deserving of protecting their dignity and finding out for themselves. You don't have a relationship if you have to lie. a relationship is being able to trust who your with, your supposed to confide in eachother and have eachother backs. if you aren't up front and honest then you can't have one not that will last. WHAT'S THE POINT OF A RELATIONSHIP IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE? Its ignorant and selfish to expect a person to be in the dark about you being a deceptive, waste of their time and energy. People are astoundingly disrespectful and think they are entitled to more than they deserve.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• I've lied in the past to protect someone's feelings and it went so badly! I think we've gotta tell the truth, even if it hurts in the end it's actually what's best for everyone. I'd try to find a kind way to put the words together, to be as gentle as possible while still being truthful.

• Why did it go wrong? I've lied in the past, and it went pretty well :/

• Too long a story to tell here lol! But I think when you lie, ultimately you're cheating yourself and the other person out of genuine resolution.

• I've never dumped anyone but people were honest with me why they dumped me (at least I think they were)

• I tried once yeah
    Ended up hurting him more

What Guys Said 6

• I have not yet lied during such an occasion.

• No I just say I'm done

• ill admit it. i tell them im a piece of shit and peace out

• At least you're honest :)

• There is a difference between a joke and being a sarcastic arrogant asshole but thanks for clearing that up

• I would tell them the truth.

• Lies are a no go

• why would u lie lol it hurts more

• Not if you do it right lol

• to be honest with you it really depends on the stations i have never had relationship so I don't know

• situations*